Thursday, September 30, 2010

Hospitality


"Show hospitality to one another without grumbling. As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace...in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen." 1 Peter 4:9,10,11

Yesterday, we arrived at our new home - for the time being, at least. A newly married elderly man, a member of the church, graciously offered for us to stay in his home rent-free until our house in Longview sells and we find another home here. When we received this news, I was so thankful. God knew our needs and faithfully provided - as I have seen Him do over and over again in my life...more on that later. Upon our arrival we walked into a sweet, very spacious and fully furnished home. Immediately, I noticed a basket of age-appropriate baby toys on the living room floor, baby gates were set up at critical points throughout the house, things had been rearranged so little hands wouldn't be able to touch or handle fragile or harmful items, sheets had been freshly washed, and then I opened the refrigerator door and found this...


Not only had our refrigerator AND pantry been stocked with a variety of essentials and goodies for the whole family, but there were specific items we love (like specialty coffee creamers for me and blue bell ice cream for Travis) that we found occupying our new refrigerator. People from the church had come in and baby-proofed the house, brought toys for the kids, and bought us groceries. I stood there, staring at this dark chocolate creamer and thinking of the generosity of this church and their hospitality and thought, "God, you have - once again - gone over and above what I could have ever asked for or imagined." Now, that may seem like a silly response to seeing coffee creamer in the refrigerator...but the thing was, no one here knew how much I love - and when I say love, I mean LOVE - specialty creamers in my coffee. That was a God thing. That was God saying to me "Robin, I love you. I know you. I made you. I know how many hairs are on your head and I know what brings you joy. This is from Me, for you." My heavenly Father had, in a small (and maybe silly to some) way expressed His love for me and my heart was compelled to worship my Father - the giver of every good and perfect gift...as small and seemingly insignificant (to others) as it may be.

I say all this because the living, active word of God came alive in 1 Peter 4:9,10,11 through the Church. I use a big "C" on purpose because not only were these sweet church members showing us hospitality by preparing the house we would be staying in to be a home for us to live in, but our precious friends back in Longview were cleaning our empty house in preparation for it to be shown to potential buyers that evening. Both sets of people - here and there - were sweetly serving us and in doing so, being stewards of God's grace to us. As a result, I was sweetly reminded of the goodness and faithfulness and steadfast love of my Heavenly Father.

"To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that wonderful testimony of God working in your life. It is such a joy to see how much you've grown since I met you. I praise Him upon every remembrance of you! And... :-) what are you guys doing in Alabama now? It's wonderful to see a post from you again!

Unknown said...

Very well written - I can see your heart right through the words. It sounds just like the people and little small rural American town I grew up in in the fab fifties.

- "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." John 13:34-35

I love you honey.
Dad

Unknown said...

Robin
Your words create a wonderful visual for those of us who can't be there with you. Thank you. Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

Unknown said...

Awesome encouragement and testimony of the Church doing what it's called to do biblically! How cool! Thanks for letting readers share in the glory of God in your life! :) Miss you!

Unknown said...

p.s. I LOVE specialty creamers that much, too. Totally get that.